The Memoirs of Cleopatra

The Memoirs Of Cleopatra - Margaret George Well, I finally finished it. 9857 pages! It is way too long, but I learned a lot so I gave it three stars.

On page 480 of 957. I am interested in the cultural aspects of different kingdoms, but NOT military strategies, which I tend to skim. Some might like the romantics of Cleopatra's relationship with Mark Anthony, but this is not why I have chosen to read the book. Half way through - it is too long, or tries to cover all readers' interests, so sometimes I am bored.

On page 278 of 957. I detest Caesar's Rome. The pomp, the formality, the excessive rituals are boring and fake. I like Cleopatra's gumption when she tricks Caesar into acknowledging their son. Way to go, Cleopatra! The Egyptian civilization seems so much richer, in the true sense of the word, than the Roman.

On page 224 fo 957. This book is too long. It needs editing. I find the melodramatics between Caesar and Cleopatra soppy. Yes, historical and cultural tidbits are prevalent, but are they worth it?

On page 48 of 957. What have I gotten myself into? This is a huge book! Am I ever going to finish it! I hope it is worth it. Well so far I am enjoying it. I find that it has a lot to teach. Where Is Memphis, the old capitol of Lower Egypt, and how is it geographically positioned in relation to Alexandria? I have used Wikepedia to position it a bit south of Cairo. You learn of the Ptolemy dynasty, of Alexander the Great, of the fall of the Macedonian empire and the rise what will be the Roman Empire. About eunuchs in Greek society and their absence in Roman society, about growing up as a king's daughter - one is surprised by the freedom she takes even as a child. About Ptolemy the XII, her father, his disfavor by the Alexandrians, his love of dance and flute playing, and both his softness and harshness when he has his daughter Bernice strangled. There is a lot to learn, and I think the facts will stick in my head because the people become alive.