Autobiography of Ma-Ka-Tai-Me-She-Kia-Kiak or Black Hawk (Classic Reprint)

Autobiography of Ma-Ka-Tai-Me-She-Kia-Kiak or Black Hawk (Classic Reprint) - Black Hawk I did like this, although parts were confusing. If I had read a book with a map, parts could have been easier to understand. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Brett Barry. In addition, the terms used for different people were confusing. The war strategies were confusing. Some of the language was also confusing. I believe if you read the book it would be easier to figure out the terms and locations.

The different tribes fight each other, the English and the Americans were fighting and the tribes supported different sides alternately. Black Hawk disputed the agreement that said all Native Americans were to stay west of the Mississippi. His village was on the eastern side and they had never received remunerations. The British had promised one thing, the Americans another and communication was poor. Sometimes I could not agree with how the Native Americans thought, such as their n need for revenge, how bravery should be defined or how human lives should be forfeited for honor, but their beliefs are well portrayed. I could understand why hostilities arose. I also understood how the settlers’ behavior must be seen as dishonest and wrong. Black Hawk was a leader that wanted peace with reasonable conditions for both sides.

What I liked most was the description of the Sauk village life. I also enjoyed Black Hawk’s descriptions of Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and other new colonial cities, of railroads and steamships. The time period is the end of the 1700s.