La Petite Fille de Monsieur Linh (Le Livre de Poche) (French Edition)

La petite fille de monsieur Linh - Philippe Claudel This novella presents a surreal view of an elderly immigrant's initial contact with his new surroundings. The writing is perceptive, poignant and moving:

He refers to him as "his friend" in his mind, because that is what he really is. The fat man has become his friend, even though Monsieur Linh does not speak his language, even though he does not understand it, even though the only word that he uses is "Good-day". It is not important. In any case, the fat man himself only knows one word of Monsieur Linh's language, and it is the same word.

Thanks to Monsieur Bark, the new country has a face, a way of walking, a solidity, a weariness and a smile, an aroma too, that of cigarette smoke. Without realising it, Monsieur Bark has given all this to Monsieur Linh.
(43%)

The lines have a quiet strength to them.

I prefer books longer in length, but this novella is complete in itself. It does not need to be lengthened to fill in unanswered questions. I will give it three stars, but I feel most others will award it four. I always enjoyed picking it up, and the details were cleverly tied together. You will particularly understand my last statement when you turn the last page.