Blood Makes Noise

Blood Makes Noise - Gregory Widen

Very good. I really enjoyed this book. Exciting, and it teaches you about Eva Péron, the facts and the myth surrounding her life and death. Why is she so loved by Argentine people? I find this much more interesting than all the books written about Argentina’s Dirty War (1976-1983), which followed. The book is based on true facts, or so we are told when the book begins.

Life on the pampas is described through some of the book’s characters. You see and experience Buenos Aires too. You travel to Italy and France and Spain and you feel how these places are all different. The details are right. It all feels real.

And what happens is exciting. I have to repeat that. This is a thriller, and even I completely understood what was going on! That alone is amazing. I will not shy away from political thrillers – at least those based on true facts – again. They don’t have to be confusing; this book proves that.

The audiobook narration by David de Vries is, however, so-so……. OK, his narration does get you excited and he in no way wrecks the story, but when he impersonates women, well, this could be improved! But there is another problem with the audiobook. It does NOT include the author’s note found in the paper version. This very much annoyed me. For this I am removing one star. I went onto Wiki to see what I could find: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Per%C3%B3n#Death).
Unfortunately this does not clarify all of the questions that arise as you read the book. I need to know to what extent the CIA played a role in what happened to Evita’s body after her death. I need to know if the information about the Swiss bank account is fact or fiction. Other questions remain too. Wiki says she really is buried in Buenos Aires’ La Recoleta Cemetery….

Had there been a good author’s note, I would have given the book four stars! I totally enjoyed what I learned and the action was so very exciting. I promise you, you will not regret reading this if you are interested in Eva Péron! When you have completed the book, do read the link above. I am glad I read this book by Gregory Widen rather than Santa Evita by Tomás Eloy Martínez. An explanation for this will also be found in the link above.