Remarkable Creatures - Tracy Chevalier Finished: I am glad that is over! I think I chuckled maybe once. The prose was stilted. I have never run into such a bunch of miserable souls. A huge disappointment. I absolutely adored this author's book Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Through page 183: Ahhhh, I am laughing. The two main woman characters are jealous of each other, and it's quite amusing. Of course a man is invoved. Mary Anning and Elizabeth Philpot are two real people and the two central characters of the book. The story is told alternately through their voices. The problem has been that Elizabeth has been so dammed level-headed that its been driving me niuts. A little jealousy is good for them. They finally feel like real people! Better late than never!

Through page 175: Half way through the book and finally something exciting has occurred. I will not say what! Much of the book is about the religious consequences of fossil discovery. If fossils were in fact the remains of animals that no longer existed, this implied that God had made animals that were not perfect. Furthermore the creation of the earth as described in the bible had to be questioned. Such religious consequences and the proper place of women in socity are the two main themes. All is very well depicted, but now, after 175 pages, this is the first time my heart has been beating rapidly. It is only now for the first time that I am emotionaly moved.

Through page 105: Well written, but sorry, it is not grabbing me! It is rich in period detail and gives a good description of social mores of provincial life in a small English resort town at the beginning of the 1800s. So why don't I like it more? I don't know!

Maybe read the non-fiction book[b:The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World|6538811|The Fossil Hunter Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World (MacSci)|Shelley Emling|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ntABVXdIL._SL75_.jpg|6731033] if I want more after reading Remarkable Creatures. Or[b:Curiosity|7904475|Curiosity|Joan Thomas|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NvqOUrTdL._SL75_.jpg|11165855]!