The Road from Home: A True Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope - David Kherdian I have very mixed feelings about this book. I am glad I read it. I learned both about the Armenian death march to the Syrian desert in 1915, about the Treaty of Sévres, followed by the Great Fire of Smyrna (Izmir, as it is known today). This horrific event of September 1922, the Great Fire of Smyrna, is briefly depicted in Middlesex. I had always wanted to learn more. In The Road from Home the author describes his Armenian mother's experiences from her birth in 1907 through 1924. The reader follows with the author's mother through these terrible times. You learn about the Armenian culture and about the different cultural groups living in Anatolia at this time - the Arabs, the Armenians, the Turks, the Kurds..... Clothing, food and daily life routines, marriage ceremonies and festivals are depicted.

This is a young adult book. You felt it was a young adult book, and I mean that in a negative sense. You primarily notice the childish tone in the dialogue passages. At the same time, horrific historical events occurred. In addition family members spoke extremely cruelly to the author's mother. After such confrontations, there is no "discussion", no "working through" of these hurtful statements. I believe this is dangerous in a young adult book. I felt that one minute I was reading a documentary for adults and then wham it changed to a child's book with childish dialogue. Who is this book written for? An outstanding book will be appreciated by both young adults and adults. Unfortunately much is told rather than experienced or shown. Often one feels that the reader is being taught or instructed rather than learning by living through the characters' lives portrayed in an engaging tale. The prose had no sparkle, and as I pointed out before, the dialogue is terrible. Really, I do not think a child would appreciate it any more than I do.... Kids deserve better writing.

I will give it three stars, but if I were to judge it as a child's book I would only give it two. Informative, but not engaging reading. Kids must be given really good books. We don't want to destroy their love of reading.