The Girl in the Green Sweater. A Life in Holocaust's Shadow - Krystyna Chiger, Daniel Paisner The green sweater mentioned in the title of this book is found in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. This sweater was worn by the author when she was six to seven years old, when she lived in the sewers of Lvov. Lvov is now called Lviv and is located in western Ukraine. Then, during the war, it was part of Poland and was called Lvov. This sweater was knitted by the author's grandmother. When she wore it she felt the warmth of her grandmother's hugs.

What is spoken of in this book is how she, the author, experienced the war. It is based on her own memories. The author has spoken with her parents and filled in sections that she did not know at the time, but it is important to see this book as a child's perspective on war. This, the book accomplishes very well. Similarly, any adult can list what elements will most probably be included in any description of an extended stay below ground in the sewer system – rats, excrement, slime, filth, worms and pipelines. The memories experienced by the author add a very horrible dimension to these concepts. Getting stuck in a 40cm pipeline, worms of all sizes and descriptions take on another dimension. The impact of childhood experiences on shaping an adult is also an interesting theme. The importance of humour is stressed. Yes, humour and good memories are possible even in such terrible conditions.

The author is remembering her experiences as a child, and yet this proves to be one of the problems with the book. We are told rather than shown. This is at least how I reacted to the book.

When you buy a book, you get a finished product. How a book is put together is important, Everything from the cover, maps, pictures, a glossary, an introduction and an afterword play a role in how the reader will perceive a given book.. This book has pictures which are wonderful. Unfortunately, it also has an introduction that is in fact a complete summary, in eight pages, of the entire book. Do not read the introduction before reading the book! I did, and as a result, I always knew what would happen next.

Yes, I liked the book, but it could clearly have been improved. I highly admire the author and agree completely with her belief that such experiences of the holocaust must be documented.