The Ministry of Special Cases - Nathan Englander Surprise! Surprise! What life throws at you cannot be understood. There is no logic or reason to what happens. At best, all you can do is try to accommodate yourself to the cards dealt you.

More specifically the book concerned one Jewish family and what happened to them during Argentina's Dirty Wars of the late 70s and early 80s. How do you deal with loss? What happens when husband and wife, who do/u> love each other, respond differently. Love does not necessarily mean two people react in the same manner. I particularly liked following this book as an audiobook. With an audiobook every sentence is read slowly, allowing the reader/listener to ponder both the obvious and more subtle meanings behind the words. Most every sentence in this novel could be interpreted on different levels - one level being the obvious event and the other the philosophical message. THIS is what I appreciated most with the book - not necessarily where the plot started and ended.

Rather than learning about the political details of the Dirty Wars, the reader learns how it felt to live through them. How was it for the ordinary people of Argentina.

And there is subtle humor:
"Those people can't be bought with a cookie." or
"They are all in the same boat. But they have no boat! They are all at the bottom of the river."
(Sorry, I cannot give the page numbers, since this was an audiobook.)