Skeletons at the Feast - Every sentence is worth listening to. Every word.

Why read another book about the horror of World War II? Because it teaches us why life is worth living.

I would change nothing about this book. Nothing!

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Mark Bramhall. The narration is slow, but it should be slow so you can think about every word, and ponder what those words mean, consider what we think ourselves. Would this happen, this way? Would I react similarly? Could he behave any differently?

You can see from the book description that this is about a small group of disparate refugees - a German gentile blond haired girl and her mother and brother of ten, an English prisoner of war and a Jew disguised as a German officer – crossing Germany from east to west in the final day of the war. Running from the Russians, the Germans and what fate has in store for them. Each character represents a different cultural / political stamp. Each carries their own baggage. Every action they take is molded by their history and where they come from. And yet each one is a person and that binds them / unites them. And that is why we readers can relate to this book, because we are all people like them.

If I say to you - remember The Invisible BridgeBridge. That is a book about the war that everyone loves. Well this is better, by far. There isn’t one unnecessary word in this book. Please read this book. I have no question in my mind whether it deserves five stars. Yes, it does, without a doubt. Beautiful prose, lots to think about, humor, realistic plot line, perfect beginning and ending. Never does it drag, not for one second. Please read this book. Or listen to it. Read it or listen to itsoon. Choose it for your very next book! Please.

Barbara, you pushed me to read this book. I owe you big time. Thank you!