The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay I thought the book could have been tightened, better edited and shortened. I was not that interested in the boxing….. The ending , with Peekay’s old childhood enemy “The Judge” being the man he worked with in the copper mines, seemed contrived; it felt like the neat ending was too nicely tied up. It felt fictional, although the novel is supposed to be autobiographical. I would have appreciated an author’s note that explained what was fictional and what was fact.

Nevertheless it is not a bad read, and the audiobook, narrated by Humphrey Bower was excellently performed. The various characters were each marvelously distinct. I enjoyed learning about the racial inequalities that existed even before the Apartheid ever came into existence in South Africa, copper mining in Rhodesia and cacti. I have met “characters” which I fervently hope are real people – Doc and boxer “Hoppy Rundevald” (spelling questionable) and Geel Piet and Miss Boorstein. Actually, I came to like these people so much more than Peekay!

No, it is not a bad book, but I expected more given all the rave reviews I had read.