The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times - Jennifer Worth I see now that this is the first book of a series: http://www.goodreads.com/series/77112-the-midwife-trilogy

This book is fun. You are told astounding stories about the author's years working as a midwife at the Nonnatus House Convent in the Docklands during the 1950s. You meet the wonderful Sister Monica Joan, a somewhat "crazy" ninety year-old nun, Conchita Warren who will give birth to both her twenty-forth and twenty-fifth child, the latter premature of only 28 weeks gestation, weighing less than two pounds, born during a thick London smog. You will not be able to put the book down during these chapters. You meet a prostitute and here her story. Heart-wrenching. You come to understand the lives of the women of the East End. I promise, you will laugh and cry.

The structure of the book is anecdotal, but even I who dislikes short stories, was in no way disappointed. The sisters of the convent become as members of a family, each with their own idiosyncrasies. Each child born is a wonder. And Jennifer, the author, is surprisingly honest about her own weaknesses and failings.

I haven't told you a thing about Sister Monica Joan. Her escapades will definitely make you smile and laugh outright. She is something else. The only way to meet her is by reading this book, which I highly recommend.