The Man in the White Sharkskin Suit: A Jewish Family's Exodus from Old Cairo to the New World (P.S.) - Lucette Lagnado Everybody says they shed a tear when they read touching books. I never do, except that I did when I read this book! At the end...... What does this say? It says that you, the reader are drawn into the lives of the people. The author is writing about her own experiences, growing up in Cairo, Egypt. Her family is Jewish and they finally have to leave in the 60s. That life in Egypt is wonderful to lean about. This covers the first half of the book. The second half deals with her life as a stateless person, her family's flight to France and eventual immigration to the United States and most importantly what it is like to live in a culture that feels so foreign. The latter half is about being an immigrant. You know this family, her parents and siblings and the author herself. You empathize with them. I do not want to tell you what happens, but it is very hard to put this book down at the end. I cannot think of another book where my eyes really did tear up!

I also recommend Sipping from the Nile, another biography of a family living in Egypt in the 1900s. That is lovely too. Two completely different families, each special in their own way. The same is true of the books - each is special in its own way. Both books got four stars.