Comedy in a Minor Key - Hans Keilson, Damion Searls Somebody will just have to clue me in to why this book is so special!

You feel like you are reading the lines of a play rather than a novel. There are sentences such as - "on the table were three dirty cups and a newspaper" or "he carried the bag in his left hand". Phrases are repeated; we, the audience, are being told to pay attention....so that a message can be relayed. I found this annoying.

Time and time again I thought that doesn't make sense; one would not do that or think that. The story is not built upon plausible events. Vim and Marie are hiding a Jew in their house and he becomes sick and dies. They have to get rid of the body. Vim and a doctor drag the dead body out to a nearby park and place it under a bench. Is there no better place?! What do they worry about? That it is raining and cold; the body will get wet! This is all rather absurd. Anyhow Vim and Marie are forced into hiding, since they have not only left the dead body in Vim's pajamas, which have his insignia on them, but also carelessly left laundry tags attached. Now they are themselves forced into hiding, but they do go outside. At their new residence, others are told that Marie is pregnant. She is not pregnant and she is not informed that others have been told this! Generally all those involved in hiding people were unbelievably careless. Neither was the total lack of communication between Vim and Marie believable. If you are putting your life in danger by hiding someone, a little planning, and thus a little talking, is mandatory. Neither has Marie any understanding of why a Jew would not want to convert to another religion. Everyone is walking around in a fog! I could name many more unbelievable incidents.

Given that the events seem implausible, the whole story seems not as a real event but simply as a means for the author to make a statement. So what is the author trying to say? Maybe how hard it is to really imagine another's situation. Or, to fully understand another, you must be in their shoes, only then will you fully comprehend. Or does the author ask us how much danger are we willing to put ourselves in to help another? Maybe.....but nothing in this story is convincing!

I have nothing to remark about the audiobook narration by James Clamp.