They Have Killed Papa Dead

"They Have Killed Papa Dead!": The Road to Ford's Theatre, Abraham Lincoln's Murder, and the Rage for Vengeance - Anthony S. Pitch

I am still thinking about Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I highly recommend reading "They Have Killed Papa Dead!": The Road to Ford's Theatre, Abraham Lincoln's Murder, and the Rage for Vengeance immediately afterwards, just as I have done. Wow, there is a lot more to his assassination than we have been told in school! Very interesting stuff. I recommend reading it. It is complicated and packed with primary source information. Lots to think about, even if not all can be proven in a court of law. Who else wanted Lincoln killed?! Trial proceeding in both 1865 and 1867 are thoroughly covered. In the first, eight are accused of trying to kill Lincoln, Johnson, Seward and Grant. Four are hanged, and this is after the death of John Wilkes Booth. You think the story is over, but two years later there is another trial!

Due to the fact that there is so much primary source information, due to the density of historical details, it is hard to absorb all the facts in an audiobook format. I ask myself, do I need to go back and reread this? Yes, if I want to remember every name and every date and every reference, but you know I was able to follow the clear line of thought supported by historical facts. I I have no complaints whatsoever with the narration by Milton Bagby. Excelletnin fact. Another difficulty is that several characters had more than one name. Lewis Powell is the same person as Paine / Payne!

The last chapter takes you on a whirlwind tour outside America. I was hanging on for dear life following John Surratt’s actions and other possible culprits/theories. No, I am not going to tell you more. I actually got annoyed…… there was so much being thrown at me. I wanted it to go slower. On the other hand it is clearly explained and engagingly written, even if I felt my head was exploding.

This book continues where Team of Rivals lets off. Perhaps if I had read the paper book it would even have gotten more stars. I am really, really wondering if both these two books shouldn’t be given four stars! They have taught me so much. They keep me thinking. DO read this book immediately after “Team of Rivals”. Should I change the stars?