The Seamstress - Sara Tuvel Bernstein, Louise Loots Thornton, Marlene Bernstein Samuels Finished. A very good holocaust book, different from others maybe because you follow the main character from her youth. You follow Seren through many years. She is feisty! It is also very interesting to know that Sara did not tell the author everything. The missing bits are revealing. The reader knows of them because Seren's daughter has added more information and interesting comments about what it is like to be the daughter of two parents who have survived the holocaust.

Through page 273 - these pages have been almost impossible to read. Horrific.

Now I am on page 190. There is so much to think about. For example, what leads to survival? Mental health. Strength of your mind leads to physical strength. It is amazing what the human being is capable of surmounting. Whiners really should remember this. Art and beauty - seeing a beautiful landscape, hearing a song, and the art of laughter. Note, it is not the big pieces of art in museums, or an opera in a music hall that are required to uplift us from misery. Actually it is the ability to keep one's eyes open to everything around us and to appreciate the small stuff. Philosophical jabber, I know, but important to remember! Seren is strong and always has been strong, stubborn one might even say. We know who she is because we know of the years before the worst times. Even as a child she was a fighter, even a troublemaker. She was born that way. Her next younger sister, Zipporah, was also a troublemaker, but in a completely different way. Their mother understands the importance of accepting her children and others for what they are, with all their faults. She doesn't show anger toward Zipporah. "That IS Zipporah!". An acceptance of the reality that people are just born different. Sure, we can try to change, but one can only go so far to change how we are born. Seren wanted this book to be published because people continue to deny that the holocaust ever happened. In Sweden right now the papers are filled with people's anger that a man high up in the church says that the Jews are just exaggerating what happened, to make us feel sorry for them! Seren died before her book was published, and that is sad. Even as a child she wanted to "be somebody". Well, I think she WAS somebody. She helped others, friends and family. Without her strength they would have gone under. Many went under anyway, but she shared small experiences and laughter with them. That is not to be forgotten.

I'm on page 84 of The Seamstress. Well written. Extremely moving. You are there with Sara(Seren). Somehow this is different from other holocaust books